Situated a short 10 minute drive from the historic town of Stratford-upon-Avon, Long Marston Airfield notched up over 75 years in operation, not only as a prime location to enjoy civil aviation at but also a key function during the Battle of Britain during World War II.
Originally known as RAF Long Marston when it was opened for use by the Royal Air Force during the peak of combat in 1941, on farmland that had been requisitioned by the Air Ministry.
Its main facilities during military operations consisted of three tarmac runways in the standard RAF ‘A’ formation, two T2 hangars and one B1 hangar and a control tower, as well as 27 pan and spectacle dispersals situated around the airfield in the event of a Luftwaffe attack.
One of the first main units based at RAF Long Marston was the No. 24 Operational Training Unit of the Bomber Command, which flew amongst others, Avro Anson and Vickers Wellington bomber planes. They remained in operation there until July 1945, two months following the end of the war with VE Day.
Numerous other RAF units, including the No. 9 Flying Training School and the No. 10 (Advanced) Flying Training School operated at Long Marston until the RAF withdrew from the base in 1954. Civil flying and aviation commenced from the airfield not long after this.
During the 70+ years it was in operation, Long Marston Airfield was the home of the Microlights Flying School, the Avon Microlight Club, Freedom Sports Aviation and the gliding club MotorGlide.
Flying near Long Marston Airfield
Although Long Marston Airfield has now officially closed as of the spring of 2020, with FlyDays there are still plenty of fantastic locations that you can book and enjoy flying days and experiences in the West Midlands, including Wellesbourne Airfield and Coventry Airport. Click here to view our dedicated West Midlands page.