Want to take flight above the stunning low-lying countryside above Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire? Fowlmere Airfield lies near the border where these two Eastern counties meet and lies northeast of Royston and southwest of the world-renowned university city of Cambridge. From here, incredibly daring aviation fans can buckle in for a series of thrill-seeking Aerobatic Flight packages, amongst many other great Flying Experiences.
There have been three airfields at Fowlmere. The first was built on an old landing ground east of the B1368 Flint Cross to Fowlmere road. It was built to a substantial size and built to last, with three double and one single Belfast Truss hangers, similar to those found at Duxford. An extensive domestic site accompanied this on the opposite side of the road.
The second opened in early 1918 as Number 31 Training Depot Station for the newly independent Royal Airforce. Also, during this time, Training squadrons were to be based here, but the first to arrive was No 165 US Aero Squadron on March 15. The aerodrome was closed in 1922, and all buildings were demolished in 1923.
Battle of Britain:
In spring 1940, a satellite landing ground at Duxford was prepared around Manor Farm, this side on the west of the B1368 looking north. This second incarnation designed Fowlmere as Airfield G1 and later WA1. From July 1, spitfires of 19 Sqn RAF were detached with crews using tented accommodation plus several Nissen huts throughout the Battle of Britain period. Duxford and Fowlmere were protected by three anti-aircraft artillery based at Thriplow, as well as having Bofors guns on the former airfield. From now until the Spring of 1944, various RAF units were based at Fowlmere, usually just for a few days before moving on.
A Third Aerodrome:
In September 1945, Fowlmere was turned over to the RAF, and shortly after, the Americans returned to the United States. Between 1945 and 1957, the airfield was reverted back to farmland, and the RAF formally relinquished the base in 1957. The track had long been taken up, but some of the buildings, including the sole T2 hanger, remained.
In 1999, ModernAir moved into the airfield with a Piper Arrow G-BONC and a taxiway which connected the runway to the hanger area. Over the years, ModernAir’s collection of Pipers has grown significantly to an impressive collection which other aviation enthusiasts can enjoy.
Please remember that Flying Experiences are dependent on weather conditions, so at times may need to be rescheduled.